Falling asleep on the bus


Got only a half decent nights sleep last night, so I made up for the lost sleep by falling asleep first on the train, and then on the bus, on the way to work. Mind you, on the train, I was standing, holding a book. The trains in Atlanta are very quiet and peaceful, the silence only occasionally broken by a ringing mobile phone. Lots of people sleep, very few talk to eachother. The sound of the rails is quite soothing. The bus is a little different. Noisier, hotter, more jarring in general. Much more difficult to sleep, but I was able to anyway. I woke up several times, thinking I had missed my stop, and that I would be late for work. Finding I had not, I logically fell right back asleep. Jolting awake like that can give you such a kink in the neck. If I think I might fall asleep, I make sure to sit in the back of the bus, with my backpack wedged behind my shoulder, as once when I woke up, several years back, I found that someone had lifted my umbrella. And it was a really nice umbrella. Got wet that day, and learned my lesson. Never fall asleep on the bus. Did anyway. Did get off at my stop. At work now.

Comments

Popular Posts