If you want it.

In 1971, John Lennon and Yoko Ono recorded the song "Happy Xmas (War Is Over)", which is, in my opinion, one of the greatest songs, let alone holiday songs ever recorded.

From the lyrics:

And so this is Xmas
And what have we done
Another year over
A new one just begun
And so happy Xmas
We hope you have fun
The near and the dear one
The old and the young
A very Merry Xmas
And a happy New Year
Let's hope it's a good one
Without any fear
War is over,
if you want it
War is over now

The other day I was Xmas shopping, and I heard one of the many cover versions of this song being played in the store. I don't know who it was by, one of the new country flavor of the month singers, I suspect. I noticed one thing that set me back, and made me think, though. The song was well performed, but the emphasis was changed from the original, and the original intent. The chorus of "War is Over, If you want it, War is Over Now", was part of the song, but it was barely audible, basically being whispered by the background singers, thus making it almost unnoticeable. If this was an attempt at putting a subliminal message in the song, I would appreciate it, but I think it was more of an attempt to put this song on somebodies Xmas album without acknowledging the real message of the song, in fact trying to eliminate it entirely. And yes, despite the recent controversy, I'm using "Xmas" just like John and Yoko did, rather than Christmas. Yes, I hope it cheeses off some Christians. I really do.

Comments

R said…
You hope it cheesed off Christians? So...you're out to intentionally irritate people? Good plan.

Popular Posts